General website bugs, errors and suggestions for improvement

General website bugs, errors and suggestions for improvement

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 3:16:04

• @Unknown Covers and guest appearances don't appear in statistics (but @Unknown does appear in Average Setlist)
  • Statistics link only appears on artist page if they have setlists with song content
  • Concert Map 'zoom' doesn't work (Google Chrome)
  • Multiple appearance by one artist at a festival displays only one link on festival page
  • Setlist.fm doesn't import updated musicbrainz disambiguations. eg. There are many artists with the same name, with only the most recently added to musicbrainz with disambiguation information
  • When there is a long list of artists performed 'With' (or list of artists performing covers of the one song), expanding an artist will display a list of setlists by another artist
  • There are 5 pages for Venues on user pages, even if some pages are empty
  • Same Day | +1 Day | +2 Days buttons for creating festival end dates?
  • Left/down keys moves down list of dates and months, but up list of years when adding a setlist
  • Edit Tour & Festival with a blank Tour name doesn't autocorrect the Tour name. Edit Songs does.

Edit: The formatting tools on the forum are really glitchy, as you can see above…

Last edited 26 Feb 2014, 0:00:30

Re: General bugs, errors and suggestions for improvement

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 9:06:51

Thanks for the list,

*@Unknown Covers and guest appearances don't appear in statistics (but @Unknown does appear in Average Setlist)

Guest appearances are not meant to appear in the stats. Could you please provide an example for the Unknown covers?

*Statistics link only appears on artist page if they have setlists with song content

This was intentional. This limitation could be discussed though.

*Concert Map 'zoom doesn't work' (Google Chrome)

sounds like a bug. thanks.

*Multiple appearance by one artist at a festival displays only one link on festival page

Please provide an example.

*Setlist.fm doesn't import updated musicbrainz disambiguations. eg. There are many artists with the same name, with only the most recently added to musicbrainz with disambiguation information

Please provide an example artist.

*When there is a long list of artists performed 'With' (or list of artists performing covers of the one song), expanding an artist will display a list of setlists by another artist

Don't get it. Example please.

*There are 5 pages for Venues on user pages, even if some pages are empty

True. Bug. Thanks.

*Same Day | 1 Day | 2 Days buttons for creating festival end dates?

Makes sense. Thanks.

*Left/down keys moves down list of dates and months, but up list of years when adding a setlist

No idea what you mean, please explain.

*Edit Tour & Festival with a blank Tour name doesn't autocorrect the Tour name. Edit Songs does.

Sounds like a bug. Thanks.

Edit: The formatting tools on the forum are really glitchy, as you can see aboveā€¦

True

Thanks again!

cheerio

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 10:47:51

Guest appearances are not meant to appear in the stats. Could you please provide an example for the Unknown covers?

Can't think of a perfect example off the top of my head, but say I read a concert review article of The John Butler Trio, and the author says “then they covered a Bob Marley song”. I would add @Unknown @Cover[Bob Marley], but then there's no way to find this song/setlist via The John Butler Trio or Bob Marley's setlist.fm pages.
Similarly with this setlist, Jack Thompson joined JBT for a song, but I could not find out which song this was. Jack Thompson doesn't have an MBID (and I can't be bothered adding one), but if he did, I still wouldn't be able to find this setlist without knowing the venue or date to search for.

This was intentional. This limitation could be discussed though.

It would be helpful especially for looking at historical artists (such as Robert Johnson) who have lots of famous and covered songs, but no known concert dates.
At the moment, I change the “setlist” in the artist URL to “stats” to get around this.

Please provide an example.

http://www.setlist.fm/festival/2013/caloundra-music-festival-2013-6bd6fefa.html

Please provide an example artist.

Barry Morgan

Don't get it. Example please.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/with/the-john-butler-trio-3d6cdb3.html
Try expanding one of the artists who joined JBT one or two times (as these levels of frequency have the most artists. I'm using Google Chrome again. Chances are, when you try to expand an artist, the list of venues and dates where this artist guested with JBT are incorrect, and are actually for another artist in the list.

No idea what you mean, please explain.

The dates dropdown menu is sorted ascending chronologically. The months are also ascending chronological. However, the years are descending chronologically. I know why it's like this (most recent year at the top, “1-31″ and “January-December” makes perfect sense), but it gets confusing when I try to change dates using my keyboard's arrow keys. eg. I want to change the date to 1 day later, one month later, and one year later. I would double-click the date, click down, tab, down, tab UP.
Does that make sense?
I understand completely if you just say, “No, that's the way it will stay”, I just thought I'd mention it.

Sorry about the confusing first post, most of these were written down quickly without much thought.

Thanks!

Last edited 18 Oct 2013, 10:51:03

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 11:28:05

Jack Thompson doesn't have an MBID (and I can't be bothered adding one), but if he did, I still wouldn't be able to find this setlist without knowing the venue or date to search for.

Right. Unknown songs can't be found. I have no immediate solution for this one, I'll get back to you on this next week.

It would be helpful especially for looking at historical artists (such as Robert Johnson) who have lots of famous and covered songs, but no known concert dates.

As the pages exist anyway it could make sense to add the link, yes. This has been requested before if I remember correctly, so it might be time for it.

Multiple sets on one day on the festival

There should be all dates available on the festival page, this really is missing (also in the right column on the setlist page “related concerts”). Thanks for finding and reporting this bug.

Chances are, when you try to expand an artist, the list of venues and dates where this artist guested with JBT are incorrect, and are actually for another artist in the list.

That's very strange and definitely a bug. Thanks for pointing this one out too!

I understand completely if you just say, “No, that's the way it will stay”, I just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for mentioning it, however it really will stay this way, as most added setlists have a date nearer to the current year than the first possible year. Having the years inverted avoids a lot of scrolling. That's a small limitation to keyboard users like you, sorry for that.

Thank you for reporting these bugs, really appreciate it! We'll try to fix them ASAP.

cheers

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 11:29:47

Oh, forgot about Barry Morgan. The disambiguation gets updated, it just takes some time for less popular artists. I triggered the update manually and the disambiguation got updated.

Posted 22 Oct 2013, 17:26:23

Thanks for your responses, let me know how it all goes!

One more:
Edit Songs does not autocorrect Tour Name when you're editing one of multiple concerts on the same day by one artist

Posted 23 Oct 2013, 1:25:59

Clicking on the UK on the Concert Map doesn't show colours for England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland (divisions of the UK). Clicking England within this sub-zoom does not zoom to display the English counties.

Last edited 23 Oct 2013, 1:47:00

Posted 23 Oct 2013, 1:42:12

Stats are being compiled. Check back in a minute.

This seems to show up purely at random on setlists, and the Related Concert Setlists and Songs on Albums tabs on the right are omitted whenever it does.

Posted 23 Oct 2013, 1:46:24

This seems to show up purely at random on setlists, and the Related Concert Setlists and Songs on Albums tabs on the right are omitted whenever it does.

And upon occasion, I get sick of waiting and refreshing for “stats to be compiled”, and just end up closing that window.

Posted 23 Oct 2013, 9:11:46

Edit Songs does not autocorrect Tour Name when you're editing one of multiple concerts on the same day by one artist

You mean that autocorrect should take the tour name from other setlists of the same day, correct? Could well be that it only takes setlists on days before and after into consideration. I'll check this.

Clicking on the UK on the Concert Map doesn't show colours for England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland (divisions of the UK).

Yeah, dividing the UK in 4 countries is a special behaviour of setlist.fm (and of the FIFA/UEFA I think ;-)). That one can't easily be solved, but a revamp of the map is on our list anyway.

and

And upon occasion, I get sick of waiting and refreshing for “stats to be compiled”, and just end up closing that window.

This should show up whenever there are no stats available yet. They should however be compiled within a second or so. So reloading the page should display the stats. We're planning to auto-update the stats once they're ready without the need to reload the page. If the stats don't compile within some seconds then it's most likely a bug and something went wrong while assembling the stats. If you come across this, please post the setlists. Thanks.

Thanks for the bug reports!

Posted 23 Oct 2013, 9:51:56

You mean that autocorrect should take the tour name from other setlists of the same day, correct? Could well be that it only takes setlists on days before and after into consideration. I'll check this.

Say there are 4 setlists by an artist (with tour names in brackets):
8 April (“Tour”)
9 April (“Tour”)
10 April
10 April

If I Edit Songs of either of the 10 April setlists, the Tour Name is not autocorrected.

Posted 5 Nov 2013, 12:27:00

When adding setlists of a festival with multiple venues (and assigning the festival), it would be very helpful for “Festivals on this day” to be at the top of the list of festivals in that city.

Posted 14 Nov 2013, 11:39:50

How about an icon for Artist Statistics and Tour Statistics next to each entry when viewing setlists through the search engine? Currently we must go to the setlist/artist page, then click again to see the statistics page.

Posted 14 Nov 2013, 13:05:50

How about an icon for Artist Statistics and Tour Statistics next to each entry when viewing setlists through the search engine? Currently we must go to the setlist/artist page, then click again to see the statistics page.

Thanks. Put it on the list for discussion with the team. Sounds nice to me.

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 21:08:59

HTML named anchors don't work in Guidelines.
eg. http://www.setlist.fm/guidelines#festivals

You're not allowed to do this, please sign in first.